Friday, June 06, 2008

More Advanced Beginner Class for Spot

Last night was the first night in a new session of advanced beginner agility at Gemini with Carolyn Barney. I think this will be our second adv. beg. class. We've been outside the past 2 weeks, which surprised me. With Denielle we didn't go outside until intermediate class.

As a whole, I think Carolyn is moving us along a lot faster. We're already doing sequences of 4-8 obstacles, including front and rear crosses. It's an unusual class in that we have a mix of experienced handlers and beginner handlers, but they seem to be keeping up ok. Spot is doing great with his start line stays and his contacts. He loves all the obstacles as well, including the tunnel, chute, dogwalk and A-frame. He's doing well on the teeter, but we have it very low right now.

He still needs to work on control and focus. He tends to be very fast, but doesn't always know how to pay attention to me and where I want him to go, rather than just running. One thing that surprised me last night. We had a sequence of two jumps then a tunnel, and I didn't even cue the tunnel before he was off and through the tunnel from about 5 feet away. So on the one hand, I like that because I want my handling to be setting the dog up in the correct position so they know to take whatever obstacle is in front of them, rather than cueing every jump. But on the other hand, I want him to be checking in at this point in training.

No comments: