Thursday, November 30, 2006

Everything but weaves

Well, Shelby is doing really well in agility class. I can work with Shelby off lead now and she will not be distracted too much by the other dogs. I finally found the treat that will motivate her-ham and cheese!

She can do all the obstacles, except the weave poles. Right now we only have 4 poles set up, and they are further apart than usual, so she goes through them, but only has to weave a little bit. We will start setting them up closer and closer together so it's more like weaving soon.

We had a pretty good run through on Tues, but I think Shelby had to pee and was a little distracted, because I lost her once.
The set up was 3 jumps, then a quick front cross to a tunnel, which we handled no problem. :-) Then another set of jumps where we tried to send the dog out away from us a bit, which Shelby did, but then I kind of lost her attention for a second and fudged the next jump. From there, we did the A frame with no hesitation, to the tire and then a curved tunnel, which we bobbled a little. I think because my hand was pointing to the left entrance, but my feet were pointing towards the right entrance, so Shelby wasn't sure what I really wanted, but I adjusted and she took it correctly. From there, it was on to the dog walk, which I messed up by running too close and pushing Shelby away from the entrance by mistake. We recovered and went from the dog walk to the table, which Shelby did well on. The problem with the table is they have to stay in a down position, and Shelby does that, but then the instructor has us feed for the stay, but when I do that, Shelby thinks the down stay is over, and sits up. So then I have to put her in a down again before we can get off the table. After the table was another tunnel, which was no problem, then 2 more jumps to finish. I thought I had a lot of bobbles, but I was first so I couldn't tell how the others would do. I actually did the best out of the class, which was nice. Everyone else in class had problems with the opening jumps and front cross to the tunnel. I think I have good innate handling skills, just because I get fewer corrections, and they tend to be on refinements like when to say the command rather than body positioning. Maybe Shelby is just a better body language-reader!

No comments: