Sunday, November 15, 2009

Spot Making Progess in Agility

Spot's been back at agility class for 2 weeks. It's been going well.
Last Thursday we worked on a 10-obstacle sequence and he actually could do the whole thing! I don't know when that happened! And I can tell he knows what crosses mean, which I didn't think he totally got yet.

At the beginning of class we worked on weaves. We're still at 2 poles, but I had them strait and he did well. He totally understood that he needed to go between the poles for reward. We had a little trouble with the off side entry. He did fine at first but as we kept on, he stopped doing it correctly. So I got him to do one more correct one and then stopped.

Then we worked on our sequence. It was 3 jumps to a tunnel, then the dog walk, then the tunnel which was under the A frame, then the A frame, then 2 jumps, tunnel, and 3 jumps. For the opening, I started with Spot on my left and tried to run the tunnel on the left, but Spot ran into me on the way to the dog walk, so it wasn't great. So we practiced it with a front cross before and after the tunnel. I couldn't quite get the timing right. Spot did a good job with the obstacle discrimination, taking the tunnel no problem. Then we did the A frame, an handled the 2 jumps and tunnel like a serpenine. The end section was a little tough, because coming out of the tunnel, the next two jumps were parallel to the tunnel exit. I tried a post turn and then a rear cross, but Spot didn't understand. It could also be a serpentine, but still not exactly easy.

Overall, Spot did well and I'm happy with his progress.

No comments: