Sunday, November 15, 2009

Positive Small Dog Interactions

I've had a little bit of a challenge working on Shelby's sometimes agression towards small dogs. I always walk her on leash now at Willards Woods, because I want to be able to control any situation. Shelby doesn't seem to mind it, except sometimes when Spot runs off into the bushes.

Last time we went to WW, there were a lot of dogs there. There was a woman who came up behind us with a jack russell mix who was off leash. I told her right away that Shelby can be agressive, but she said her dog was very mellow and never had a problem with anyone, so I let Shelby say hello. I tried not to be stressed! The jack mix was friendly, but calm and confident. He and Shelby met and it was fine, and then he came back and they sniffed again, and it was totally fine.

Then we came across a rat terrier and another little dog, I think it maybe a schauzer mix. I was a little worried because the rat terrier was a little high strung and I thought Shelby would jump on it. But it went fine. Shelby greeted both dogs calmly, and then both groups parted ways. I was so proud of her.

However, it wasn't totally positive, because just after that we met a shitzu puppy, and they greeted, but the puppy was a little bit in Shelby's face, and she growled after a minute, so I pulled her away.

But overall, it was a step forward and I have hope that we can resolve her issues.

No comments: