Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dogged Pursuit

I just finished reading Dogged Pursuit: My Year of Competing Dusty, the World's Least Likely Agility Dog.

It was entertaining, but nothing that special. I think it captured pretty much what every competitor goes through at the beginning. I could definitely relate to having a dog who is great in training but not so great in competition.

One thing that did ring true was his relationship with the other competitors. I definitely still feel like an outsider at trials, even though I have agility friends and have been trialling for a couple of years. Each time I go, I think "Are these people really enjoying this?" I love the challenge of competing, but I can't stand the hours and hours of waiting around between runs. Also, getting up at 5:30 am to drive 90 minutes to the trial site, get set up and be ready to go at 7:30 am is barbaric to me. Wouldn't everyone have more fun if the trial started at 10am and runs were more limited? If I enjoyed it more, I would go to more trials. As it is, I can only handle one day every 2-3 months.

No comments: