Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A-huntin' at Willard's Woods

We took advantage of the beautiful day (along with 100 other people) to take a walk to Willard's Woods on Saturday.

It was pretty busy-the parking lot was full. We ran into a lot of dogs and people. A few times I had to hang back and wait to let people get ahead of us, because their dogs were rambunctious and Shelby was on leash and I didn't want to frustrate her by not letting her run around with them. But I have to say, said people seemed oblivious to the fact that I was trying to avoid them! It's always the way.

Midway through the walk Spot and Shelby zeroed in on a fallen log and were doing some heavy sniffing and digging. At one point Spot went inside the fallen log and it was super cute. I took some video with my cell phone, to be posted later.

People were coming by and watching them work. Shelby was really into it. It was funny how people were transfixed by it.

One woman stopped and commented that she didn't think terriers could ever be off leash. I dont buy into those breed generalizations. You'll hear that sighthounds should never be off leash, beagles should never be off leash, etc. I think it depends on the dog. Every dog can be trained that coming back to you is the best thing in the world. Does that mean they will never take off? No. Have I ever thought I lost Spot in the woods? Yes. But it's 1 out of 100 times. And the joy they get out of running free is worth it if you're in a safe location.

No comments: