Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A training opportunity at Williards Woods

On Saturday, after earthdog, I took Spot and Shelby to Williards Woods with Tanya and Hallie.

I kept Shelby on the retractable lead the whole time because I didn't really want to deal with any issues. There were a few dogs there, mostly larger, so no issues.

Until we were leaving. A woman came in with a corgi and little black mix. I was waiting for Spot so I could leash him up, so Shelby and I were standing on the side of the path. The corgi came up and Shelby started growling. So I immediately told her no and asked for a sit, and made her look at me. She sat next to me and let the corgi come close to me. She was staring somewhat though. The corgi didn't seem phased by it. Then the little black dog came over and Shelby didn't growl, so I let them sniff each other and it was fine. And then the corgi came over again and everyone sniffed.

I was glad to have an opportunity to correct Shelby's behavior with smaller dogs.

No comments: