Saturday, July 25, 2009

BCDC Earthdog trial day one

This weekend Spot is entered in the Bay Colony Dachshund Club earthdog trial in Master both days.

Check in was at 8:30, and of course I got out of bed a little later than planned, but I managed to get there by 8:15. The judge did her briefing at 8:45. She was a very open judge, meaning she would evaluate each dog and kind of see the situation through the dog's eyes and judge them on intent as well as actions. For example on the mark, if the dog looks in and sees the rats, then goes and tries to get into the tunnel another way, she would see that as marking, as well as if they barked directly at the hole. As I understand it she does hunt, so she wants a dog to display hunting behavior.

We were in the second brace, which was great, because there were 8 braces! Usually it's like 4 or 5. I guess this is the most they've ever had at this trial. It was Spot and Darby, a Border terrier. They both did well on the walk up, going up and coming back. The judge asked me to direct Spot to check out the false den which he did by sticking his head in. When we got to the tunnels, Spot saw the rats, then came back and looked at me, and I told him to show me, and he went over again, but no barking, and was kind of wandering. Darby went over and marked, so then his handler picked him up and I went closer and asked Spot to show me, and he finally barked.

So Darby went first, and Spot was barking a bit while honoring, but I was able to pet him and get him to dig a bit and it was fine. When it came to our turn, Spot was ready. He went right in the tunnel, and then I saw him come out the false exit, but went right back in and got to the rats. He started working right away. He worked the full 90 seconds, which I was worried about, because last time we practiced, he didn't stay and work.

When it came time to take him out, they opened the cover, which was nice and big, by the way, and I almost grabbed him, but he scooted back. I tried getting him to come up, but he went out the false exit. I called him back, but he stayed back from the opening. The judge was very nice and told me to let him take his time coming out. After another time coming out the false exit, I actually went and picked him up. The judge said it was a shame because the rest of the test went very well. We'll see what happens tomorrow. At least I know what to work on, but there's only 2 weeks until the GBAEC trial on August 8-9. Maybe I'll break down and pay for a private session with Carolyn.

No comments: