Sunday, July 26, 2009

BCDC Earthdog trial day 2

Today was the second day of the Bay Colony Dachshund Club earthdog trial. Spot was entered in Master again. I actually got up a little earlier and got there in plenty of time. Spot was in the second brace again. This time he was paired with a smooth fox terrier who already had a title.

Spot was excited to be there. As soon as we took of the leashes, they started up the trail. Spot checked in as usual, several times. The judge had us call the dogs over to check out the false den, and they both did. Then when it came time to mark, Spot saw the rats, but didn't bark. The other dog was marking, so Spot actually came over to stand by me, and I thought Uh Oh, but the judge just said how polite he was! Then I told him to go show me and he stared, then barked, and we were good.

Spot had to honor first, and he barked a bit, but I pet him and he was quiet. I also encouraged him to dig in the dirt near the tie-out. When it was our turn to go, Spot was so wiggly I almost dropped him. He went in like a bullet, and I could see him moving through the tunnel. He came out the false exit and went right back in. He worked the rats the whole 90 seconds. When it was time to take him out, we opened the cover from the back, so I was able to actually get my hand in behind him, and he didn't back up! I grabbed him and praised him and was able to pull him out. I was sooooo happy!

So now the next thing is practice at Gardner next Saturday, then the GBAEC trial August 8-9.

No comments: