Sunday, July 06, 2008

Death in the afternoon

Today I finally got around to doing some weeding in the raised bed along side the house. The dogs were outside with me. The beds are fronted by fieldstone and the dogs usually like to nose around in there. As I was weeding, I noticed Shelby getting really excited-her tail started going like crazy. Soon Spot joined in and they were digging at the stone. Before I could stop them, they managed to loosen some stones and a few fell. As I went over to fix them, Shelby started rooting around at the base of the wall and I heard squeaking.

Next thing I know, Shelby has a rodent in her mouth! She drops it and it starts to run away, but Spot jumped on it and started chomping. Ewww. I got him to drop it, but before I could pick it up, Shelby was on it again and I couldn't get it back. I think it was a vole. It looks a lot like a mouse. It was dark gray with pink feet. Don't worry, the picture above isn't of my dead vole. I guess that solves the question of whether or not Shelby's prey drive has developed.

No comments: