Thursday, September 03, 2009

Earthdog practice

On Sunday I took Spot and Shelby to Boxboro for earthdog training. I needed to work with Spot on not backing up in the tunnel when I open the cover, and I needed to work with Shelby on entering the tunnel and staying in.

I worked with Shelby first. She definitely was interested in the rats and she understood that they were in the tunnel. I released her and she went right in. We had the L shaped tunnel. She went in and saw the rats but then came out. So I stood in the end of the tunnel so she would stay in there. She turned around and I had Michelle open the cover a little bit so Shelby could see, and also move the cage around. That did it. Shelby started trying to get the cage with her paw and made some noise. So then I took her out and let her enter the tunnel again. That time was much better-she went directly to the rats and worked right away. I was very happy.

Then it was Spot's turn. We used the JR tunnel, since all we wanted to focus on was the very end. The first time, Spot didn't like me putting my hands in the tunnel. He got used to it though. The second time I ended up putting my hand under his butt, and he jumped out. That would be ideal if he would jump out on his own. The third time, as soon as I put my hand in, he jumped out. So I am definitely going to encourage that at our next session.

No comments: