Sunday, February 01, 2009

Last Earthdog Session

Last Saturday, the 23rd, was the last earthdog class. Shelby was raring to go-in very high spirits. I think because the weather has been so bad, we've haven't been getting out as much. When we started working, she was very excited by the other dogs and the other dogs' handlers. She started staring and growling, so I had to get her focused on me. She was responsive and we were able to practice our tunnels. She really likes the tunnels now and has no problem going in. By the end of the class we had a 30 foot long tunnel with 2 turns and she powered right through. I was even able to hold her back at the entrance and rev her up a bit, saying "ready, ready, ready" and then she charged right into the tunnel. Hopefully that will translate once we get out into the outdoor tunnels.

We also worked on the rats. Shelby was still definitely interested, but not barking. At the end of Spot's class I brought Shelby in and had her see another dog work, and when that dog was barking and whining, Shelby did get excited and I encouraged her to bark. I'm hoping she will remember. I think I will be taking her to the next session of classes, but maybe only a couple since I am trying to cut back on dog expenses.

Spot's class went well. He is so into earthdog. I felt bad for him because he has a little mole above his eye and when he's working the rats he hits it and it bleeds, but it doesn't seem to bother him. He's doing much better with letting me take him out, so I'm not sure if I'll bring him back to class or just wait for spring training.

No comments: