Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Earthdog problem solving

On Saturday Spot had his first "problem-solving" class at DOGS Learning Center with Carolyn.

For Masters, Spot needs to let me open up the tunnel and remove him. This was my nemesis in JR. For SR, you have the recall which was no problem for Spot because once the rats were gone, he lost interest.

So in the class, we practiced releasing him into the tunnel and opening the end and petting him, etc. We also blocked the tunnel behind him so he couldn't back up too far. I would keep my hands in the tunnel and encourage him so he wouldn't associate my hands with having to stop work.

After a couple tries I was able to have both hands in the tunnel, grab his scruff, put my hands under his chest and pick him up a little bit, then put him back down, and he was fine with it. Once I removed him, all he wanted was some treats, he didn't even look for the rats. This is really good progress!!! If he can get over this, the only other thing to work on will be honoring and we will be on our way to a Masters title!!!

No comments: