Sunday, November 02, 2008

A good class this week

Spot and Shelby both have class on Friday now, which is kind of good because it saves on gas, but it definitely makes for a long night. Spot has class from 6:30-7:30 and Shelby from 7:30-9 or 9:30 depending on when we finish.

Spot is doing well in class. Usually there are only 2 other dogs there, sometimes just 1 other. We're working on obstacle performance, targeting, working the clock and front and rear crosses. We haven't been doing weaves at all, which I need to bring up. I feel like we've taken a step back and are taking things really slowly. Spot doesn't care-he just loves going to class! He is happiest when he has a job. He was being really independent, taking the teeter without my cue-same thing with the A frame. We did work on the A frame release and throwing the toy.

Shelby is doing well in class. No hint of her disinterest from the trial 2 weeks ago. She's very excited in class, but focused. Last month I was having a so-so night and Shelby picked up on that and was having trouble with weaves. Denielle said she didn't think Shelby had independed weave performance, and I protested that she did, we were just having an off night. Plus I saw pictures from the trial and Shelby had great form. Well, last night the course had weave poles twice, 10 poles each time and Shelby did great. I rear-crossed the poles the first time and it didn't bother her, she drove to the entrance and kept her head down and did them perfectly. I was really proud of her, especially since the poles were near the gate and the other dogs were sitting right behind it. The second time we did the weaves she got all the way to the end but missed the last one, so we tried again. She got to the same spot and just stopped and looked at me, so I stood there and looked back! Finally I gave her a hand signal to take the final pole and she did it. I like to let her think about what to do before I step in. One surprise was some diffuculty Shelby had with the tire. She kept jumping through the side. I had to really step into the pocket and support the tire.

On Sunday I went to see Carolyn's new place in Hudson. It wasn't quite what I expected. It's a little small. Kind of long and narrow. Not sure how it would look with a full agility course set up. Supposedly there is space for an outdoor agility ring in the summer, but I didn't see it. She had demos of agility, carting and rally.

1 comment:

Gette said...

Glad to see things are better!!