Friday, March 09, 2007

Shelby rocks

I have to say, I'm very impressed with Shelby's progress in agility. The hardest obstacle by far is the weave poles. I haven't really been sure if Shelby understands them yet. Then on Tues, we did a little exercise and included weave poles in a sequence. I was told to direct Shelby to the poles, but not walk with her or assist her in any way. If she performed all 4 poles, it meant that she understood the group of poles as a single obstacle, which is very good. And she did! I just pointed and said "weave" and then I stood still. Shelby took all 4 poles without looking to me for help. I was so excited! Now I need to work on giving her more confidence in the poles so that she can do them a little more aggressively.

It looks a little like this-although this person is luring the dog through the poles with her hand. That's not the best way to do it, because if you want to compete, it's better to have a dog who can do the poles independently, so you can use that time to get set up for the next obstacle.


No comments: