Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I'm a bad agility mom

Last night was the first class in a new session of intermediate agility, and it was a BIG class in a lot of ways. There were 9 dogs, I think, and the smallest one was a retriever. So Shelby was by far the smallest.

We were working on the teeter, and it was a little higher than last week. Shelby got on ok and rode it down to the floor, but then she didn't walk off the end quick enough, and it started to come back up. Of course, she decides the best thing to do is go back the way she came, only that side isn't on the floor anymore either, so she panics and jumps off. I didn't make a big deal, we just tried again. She was willing to get back on, but not so sure about making it move so much. But that's ok. We'll start out lower next week.

One thing that was bugging me the whole class was that Shelby wasn't paying attention to me very much. She would do a couple things, then be sniffing around like crazy. I just couldn't keep her with me. She didn't even want to look in my direction. I figured she wanted to check out all the other dogs. On the way home, I remembered that sniffing is a stress-relieving behavior. So she was trying to tell me she was stressed, and I kept trying to get her to work, which made her sniff more, etc. I felt so bad that I totally ignored her signals! Poor baby.

No comments: