Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bo Gee CPE Trial, April 28, 2012

Yesterday Spot and Shelby were entered in the Bo Gee CPE trial in Deerfield, NH. Spot was entered in Wildcard 3, Standard 2 and Jackpot 3. Shelby was entered in Snooker 4, Standard 3 and Jackpot 2.

Wildcard was up first, but wasn't the first class of the day, so we got there around 8. I was working as scribe in Wildcard 1-2. We didn't run until about 9:30 or so. The course started with a jump to the weaves, so I pretty much knew it would be tough going. Spot was raring to go and took the jump and entered the weaves, but then ran into the center of the ring. So I just took off running towards the tunnels and he came with me, which was great. So we did a couple tunnels and the last 3 jumps. I wanted him to have fun because lately he's been doing a couple obstacles and then leaving the ring. After this trial, I am moving him to level 1 enthusiast, so I really had nothing to lose and no expectations.

The next run was Snooker level 4 with Shelby. This was a fun course, with the 7 being a 3-jump serpentine. Two of the reds were close to the serp, then there was another close to the front of the course, and one in the middle. I wasn't sure how Shelby would do, but decided to try 1-7-1-7-1-4 as my opening, and it worked. When we started, I didn't cue the side of the serp I wanted, but she took the jump, so I needed to think fast to save it. The rest of the course was fine, and Shelby was running fast and happy. We Qd with 40 points and a second place! This was Shelby's first time back at Bo Gee since she ran out of the ring after another dog two years ago and I wasn't sure how she would be. I had Marjorie at the exit just in case, but Shelby was fine.

Next up was Standard 2 with Spot. After seeing the course, which was a jump to the A frame, then also the dog walk and the weaves and the teeter, I just felt it would be too much, so I scratched. I thought Jackpot was next, and I had both dogs in Jackpot, close together in the running order, so I moved my car closer to the ring and was hanging out for a while. Good thing I did, because suddenly I heard them calling for Shelby! I had totally forgotten she was entered in Standard! I hadn't even looked at the map, so I glanced at it quickly, then did the walk through and then we were second dog up! The course was pretty nice, good flow. Our only bobble was the weaves. I tried to send her on the offside, and she entered at the second pole, so we had to do them again. We were also 3 seconds over time. But we still Qd and got a 2nd place, so that was great.

Jackpot was a non-traditional. Spot was entered in level 3 and Shelby in level 2. The jackpot was that you needed to do three different obstacles and then the table. Originally the judge intended that we could not do three jumps as our jackpot, but she changed her mind, thank god! My opening for both dogs was the same: jump, teeter, double, jump, jump, tunnel, tunnel, tunnel, tunnel, and then the closing, 3 jumps. Spot got through the first tunnel then took off towards the exit. I called him back and he came and took another tunnel, then the buzzer went, so I was able to get him to do three jumps and the table. We got exactly 40 points we needed and were 5 seconds under time. That finished his level 3 Jackpot and his level 3 strategy games title!

Shelby was up next, and I did the same course, up to the first tunnel. She was a little nervous on the teeter. After the first tunnel, I brought her behind it to a jump, and then was planning on the weaves. But the buzzer went and I didn't want her to do the weaves because if we faulted them we would be done. So I carefully guided her to do three jumps, but after the second one she ran to the table. I called her back and got the third jump, but we ended up 5 seconds over time. It was a bummer because that would have finished her level 2 title. Oh well...

So overall, a good day, with lots of fun and a few Qs. It was very cold in the morning and windy all day and I got windburn on my face, which really hurt!

Our next trial will be at Act-Up in Seekonk on May 12-13.

No comments: