Monday, February 13, 2012

All Dogs Gym CPE Trial, February 11-12, 2012

This weekend I entered Spot and Shelby at All Dogs Gym. Spot was entered only in Level 2 Standard each day. Shelby was entered in everything else.

Saturday started off awful because I woke up with a migraine and nausea. So I slept in for a bit, and got there about 8:30, still feeling pretty bad. Luckily there was still room in the crate room, and I hadn't missed our first run. First up was Shelby in Jumpers level 3. It was a good course, and Shelby was excited. We started out great, but then she got the zoomies a bit and ran up to say "hi" to the ring crew. Then she started sniffing in one area. And then she pooped. Just one little piece. I know it wasn't stress. There is one part of the ring where they have puppy play time and a lot of dogs were sniffing. Shelby sniffed pretty much all weekend.

Next up was Snooker level 3. The 7 was a combo of a weaves and a jump. I ended up doing 1, 7, 1, 3, 1, 4. Then we made it through 5 in the closing, so we Qd! She did have to try the weaves twice, so I was worried we wouldn't get through the closing with enough points.

Then we had Fullhouse. Shelby ran well, but when we came off the dogwalk she started sniffing. I got her attention and she took the tunnel, but then was sniffing again, so she used up some time. We got all our requirements, but we were 8 seconds over time, so no Q.

Spot then ran Standard level 2. He was really slow on the dogwalk descent, and also on the A frame, so we didn't get halfway through the course. But we were done by about 4pm, so I was happy to get home early.

On Sunday, Shelby was up first in Colors level 3. It was a good course, and I thought we would do well, but unfortunately Shelby started up the dogwalk, which wasn't the correct obstacle. So, because you are not allowed an off course in level 3, we didn't Q, but otherwise had a great run.

Next was Wildcard. This I also thought would be a pretty good course for us. The dogwalk was the second obstacle, so I figured no problem! Well, I guess I was being a little too aggressive, because I pushed her past the entrance to the dogwalk, then she went around a jump. So I consciously slowed down and she did great the rest of the course, but we were over time, so no Q.

Last course of Sunday was Jackpot level 1/2. No problem! Well, at one point, Shelby got so excited she ran right past the tunnel I wanted, so that used up some time, but then we got the gamble, so I thought we had a Q. When I looked at the sheet, it turns out we didn't get points for the weaves, so we were short on points. And apparently way over time, which surprised me. Again, no Q.

Spot was running at the end of the day in Standard level 2. I didn't really have much hope of a Q, because there was a dogwalk and A frame and weaves. He actually ran well, had a little trouble with the A frame, but then totally shut down at the weave poles after entering correctly. So that was a bummer. But he was happy to run.

It was a long weekend, but fun and glad I went.

No comments: