Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Riverside CPE trial, December 10-11, 2011

Last weekend I took Spot to Riverside Canine, a facility in Nashua, NH only 30 minutes from home. We signed up for 3 classes on Sat and 2 on Sun.

On Sat, we skipped the first class, so rolled in at a decadent 9:30. We had plenty of time. Our first class was Colors level 3. We got off to a good start, but then we got to the weave poles and Spot did a good entry, but then walked off. He didn't want to come back and get them. I don't know if this was due to their location in the arena-they were in a dark corner near the kitchen...

Next was Wildcard, and again off to a great start, but those poles got us again! They were in the same location and Spot just did not want to do them and stopped working, so we left the course.

Last was Jackpot, which was traditional. The gamble was the outside tunnel entrance, a jump, the tire and the table. Definitely do-able for us. Spot ran the opening very well, was with me and wanting to work. The buzzer rang while he was in the gabble tunnel, so I moved back over the line and sent him back in, but he took the wrong entrance. That was ok, since the judge had told us the gamble doesn't start until the dog takes the correct tunnel entrance. So I tried to send him back in again, but he wasn't getting it, so I moved over the line and then finished the rest of the course. I was disappointed, but happy he had worked we me on course.

On Sunday we were entered in the first two classes of the day, Jackpot and Fullhouse. It was a non-traditional Jackpot where the gamble was the A frame, a tunnel of your choice, then any other obstacle of your choice and the table. I was bummed when I saw the A frame requirement because I knew Spot would have trouble with it and he did. He used up a lot of time, so we got whistled off before we could finish.

Next was Fullhouse, and I was able to do a course that had all jumps and tunnels, and the seesaw, which he likes. It helped that the double was considered a joker, and worth 5 points. I chose a course that would give us 26 points, when we needed 23 to Q. We made it through the course, but at the last tunnel, Spot hesitated, and the buzzer went, so I hustled him to the table, not sure if we made time. Luckily, we were .5 seconds over, which gets rounded down, so we got a Q and finished our Level 3 Fun Games title. Spot was the only level 3 8 inch dog to Q in that class!

We are headed back to Riverside next Sunday for 3 more runs. We will see how it goes.

No comments: