Sunday, May 10, 2009

Act Up Agility trial-May 9, 2009

Yesterday we headed out to the Act Up Trial at Canine Mastery in Seekonk.

Shelby was entered in Fullhouse level 2, Standard level 2, Wildcard level 3, Snooker level 2 and Colors level 3. Spot was entered in Standard level 1.

I actually got there on time!!! I was there at 7:10, plenty of time to check in and get Spot measured. However, I was so distracted it turns out I left my front door open all day. When I got home at 10pm it was wide open. Thankfully I live on a quiet street and nothing was stolen!

My friends from class were there as well-Marjorie and Lily, and Nancy and Colby. Denielle was also there with Ivy and Jury. Also Julie was there with Carmie and Bug was making his debut as well.

The first class was Fullhouse, which was all levels together. Howard and Cinders were there, so we were close in the running order, but Howard moved Cinders down in the running order. The judge was a new judge from the midwest. Her courses were interesting. In Fullhouse you need 3 single jumps, 2 circles, like a tunnel or tire, and 1 contact. You also need a certain number of points. I needed 28 points. Jumps are 1 point, circles are 3 points and contacts and doubles are 5 points. This course only had the A frame for the contact option.

Here is the course map courtesy of Julie. It was slightly different than on the map becasue they switched the jumps from the left corner to the right because of mushy ground. It had rained a lot during the week, so it was a little muddy in places.


My plan was jump, tunnel under the A frame, back over the A frame, then into the tunnel under the A frame again, then tire, jump, jump, double jump and table. Shelby started out well, all the way through the tire, then got distracted and wandered. I got her back for a couple jumps, but then I was trying to get her over the double but we got the buzzer so I ran to the table. I wasn't sure I had gotten the 3 single jumps, so I didn't know if we got a Q, but it turns out we did, so that was good. With that Q we finished our level 2 Handler title!

The next class was Standard. Standard is a numbered course you follow in order. The course was jump, tire, double, then a 180 to a tunnel, then the teeter, jump to the poles in a pinwheel, then tunnel, the A frame, jump, dog walk, tunnel and jump. They had to add a jump at the beginning in order to use the electronic timer, so they took one out of the end sequence.

I tried a front cross at the first tunnel, but Shelby over shot it and went towards the A frame, but I called her back. In hindisght that was my fault because my front cross was towards the A frame-I should have been further ahead to do it in time. Shelby was doing ok until we hit the weaves and at pole 5, she smelled something and turned around and started digging, then rolling on the ground. I tried to get her back but we ran out of time. So that was that. Nothing I could really do in that case.

Next was Spot's turn at Standard. I didn't have a ton of expectations-I was fully expecting him to wander and mark things. Spot did great. He stayed at the start line, and went when I said ok.


He did the first jump, but missed the tire, so I had to bring him back around. The next jump was a double, which I don't know if he's ever done, so he went around it and I didn't bring him back, I just kept going to the tunnel, then a pinwheel with 3 jumps, to the tunnel then the A frame, a jump, the dog walk, a tunnel and then 1 last jump. Spot was great a following my cues and he stuck his contacts. He had a great time and I did too. I thought that me may have Q'd, since we only missed one jump, but that's a major fault, so no Q. I'm going to enter him more.

The next class was Wildcard. This was a really interesting course with a tricky opening and an opportunity to layer the A frame and a challenging weave entrance. I thought we could do it, but unfortunately again Shelby was sidelined by the smelly spot, which was at jump 2. Instead of trying to cheerlead her out of it, I decided to pick her up and leave. She didn't like that too much, but I want her to know that the ring is for agility, not sniffing and rolling.



The next class was Snooker. Our course was awesome because the 7 was a single jump!
Here is the course.

So my plan was to start on the right side with red, 7, then to the left red, then tunnel 6, middle red, and 7 again, then the closing. We were the 4th dog and I didn't time it well, so we just had to pee then run over and go right to the start line. Shelby was distracted and wouldn't set up. I was so distracted by getting her set up that I didn't even realize I was on the wrong side. We did red, 7, red, but then she disconnected and I had to get her back. She did the tunnel, then I had to work again to get her over the next red and 7, also while trying not to fall in the mud. So then we started the closing, which was tire, jump, A frame, then a 3 obstacle combo of jump, tunnel, jump, then tunnel and jump. Shelby stopped on top of the A frame, so we ran out of time, but it was ok because we got just enough points. So we got our second Snooker Q and we are done with level 2 Snooker.

The last class of the day was Colors. This looked like a fun, fast course, but it was already 6pm, and I had a family event that had started at 4, so I decided to scratch and head out.

I would have done the numbered course I think.


So overall an ok day with 2 Qs. But God, why are the days so long? I got up at 5am. They need to make the trials smaller, or have a trial only for level 1-2, etc. Cap it at 250 runs a day, not 400.

Next weekend I'm super excited for the GBAEC Earthdog trial. As it stands entries are light, but I know we have 7 Masters on Sat and 6 on Sunday. I will probably try Shelby on one of the days.

1 comment:

Jules said...

The courses weren't set up for easy building. This trial wasn't even full. I think there were only 325 runs! Blame it on the new judge! ;-p

Glad you had a good day - it was great to see you'all. I am sorry I missed Spot's debut!