Saturday, August 30, 2008

Working the ARFF Trial

Well, I really didn't feel like getting up this morning, but I had an obligation to my club, so I did. I got there about 8:30 and checked in. I was a little bummed to see they had me working the 9am class, then a 1:25 class and then a 4pm class. I guess they didn't know I wasn't running a dog. Plus-of course with my luck Howard is in charge of my ring, so he's organizing all the volunteers and ring crew, etc. However he was nice and wasn't an ass, so that was good.

So I ended up working the first class, then volunteering for the second as well, as ring crew and leash runner. Then I took a break and worked one more class-being the gate steward. They had me scheduled for the last class of the day as assistant scribe, but I told Howard I had to leave before 4, so it wasn't a big deal. Being gate steward worked out ok. All my people checked in and only one change in the order. Still, not my favorite job. I didn't know a lot of the people, which made it harder. I guess I could probably do it for CPE since I've seen a lot of the dogs and people around before.

I did get to see a few friends from Gemini there. Mary and Ben were there and Leslie and Bethoven. I thought Leslie left Gemini, but I guess she just switched to Thurs night with Carolyn instead of Denielle. I think Denielle rubs some people the wrong way. I had a hard time at first, but now I like her.

Friday night's class was only me and Mary, which was fun. We had a challenging course. The opening was jump, tire, jump, jump, weaves. I ended up doing a lead out pivot to jump 3, which actually worked! I was so pumped I totally forgot my post turn at 4 and did the weaves on the wrong side. Shelby missed the entry, so we re-did them on the left no problem. Then we had the tunnel under the A frame, then a jump and the dog walk. We got to layer the tunnel next to the dog walk, which Shelby handled no problem. Then it was a double jump, which we also layered to another jump and the table. Then it was jump, tunnel, jump, A frame, teeter, jump, jump. The ending was tough because of the angle of the teeter and the last 2 jumps. I totally didn't know what I was doing the second time.

Then after class, we had champagne to celebrate Shelby's level 1 title!

No comments: