Sunday, January 27, 2008

Riverside CPE trial day 2

Again-good and bad news.

Good news-we got a Q in Jackpot!!! It was a non-traditional jackpot, so there wasn't a distance test, instead you had to take a series of obstacles to get the gamble. The way this one worked, the floor was divided down the middle, with 3 obstacles straddling the line. When the gamble whistle blew, you needed to take one obstacle on your side, then one obstacle in the middle, then on obstacle on the other side of the line, and then the table. Shelby was the only dog in her class at her height to Q!

Now on to the bad, bad, bad news.

Our second run was another try at Snooker. The dog running after us was our friend (not!) Cinders, who Shelby bit yesterday. So Shelby noticed and was a little distracted. We started out shaky, with Shelby missing the first jump, but I got her over and then into the tunnel. We came out of the tunnel and then she ran off, but I got her back and over the A frame. Then I got her over the third jump, but then she saw Cinders waiting and ran over. Cinders growled, which she had every right to do, and Shelby tried to go for her. Luckily Cinders' owner grabbed Shelby and nothing happened except a lot of noise. I yelled at Shelby and took her off the course. Then of course Cinders couldn't do her run because she was shaken up, so she ended up going later.

Denielle saw the whole thing because she was gate steward. She came over later with a couple other people and told me not to be upset, that it happens, and we just need to work on Shelby staying in the ring, and in general not running up to strange dogs.

I felt horrible anyway. It's like, what happened to my sweet puppy? She's turned into a viscious cur! Of course you would never know it from the darling sleeping on my lap right now.

I'm not sure agility trials are worth it if I'll need to be on the alert all the time for Shelby attacking. I don't think I'll go back to Riverside because the set up is so tight. There really isn't much room at all at the line up. I'll have to see what All Dogs is like, or maybe only do outdoor trials.

No comments: