Saturday, January 23, 2010

Serpentining the tunnel

So in Spot's class on Thursday we worked on some serpentine handling. We worked on serpentining the tunnel entrance and exit. I don't think I've done that with a tunnel before. I've done it with the A frame or dogwalk. So we had to send the dog to the tunnel, then call and feed with the outside hand, then send again and throw the reward toy. The timing was hard! But Spot got it.

We also worked on weaves again. I used 2 sets of 2x2 poles. Both pretty open. Spot did better than I thought. I tried not to send to the poles, but instead position myself so that he would take the poles on his own. Surprisingly he did better on the right, which is the off side. I'm happy that he is making progress. If he can get weaves, I can enter him in level 2 standard.

We also did the jump grid again. Spot did some grids with jumps at various heights so he could work on collection. He loves to jump, so much that I had to have him held back at the start. He has some good form, I think part is natural and part is from flyball, which we did a few years ago.

I sent in 2 entry forms for upcoming trials. I am hoping to get into the trial Feb 13th at All Dogs Gym in Manchester and the Bo Gee trial at American K9 Country in Amherst. But All Dogs is always tough, and I messed up sending in the Bo Gee entry. I sent it in postmarked by the 18th, but they were doing first received by the 18th. I only entered the Friday classes, so hopefully I will get in!

No comments: