Sunday, April 26, 2009

New England Terrier Club Earthdog Fun Day

Today Spot, Shelby and I attended the NETC earthdog fun day.
Spot did master and Shelby did IQ.

Spot was pretty perfect. We were paired with a smooth fox terrier that was really playful and kept sniffing Spot's butt and bothering him, but Spot didn't react. He did a good job on the walk up, running ahead, but coming back to check out things I asked him to. When he got to the tunnel, he stuck his head in, saw the rat, but then left. He went back, but left again, so I went up and encouraged him, and he started barking, which is good. We'll work on that next week hopefully. Since he was first to the tunnel, he got to go first. He worked perfectly and I was able to open the cover and remove him easily. We had to honor after that, and he was so hot and tired he only barked a couple times, and I gave him treats for being a good boy.

Shelby tried IQ. I was hoping she would be interested in the rats after our training this winter. Shelby was definitely interested. She went into the tunnel right away and got to the rats, but didn't stay there. She just wasn't that interested. I tried to get her to go back in, but she was hot and not interested so I took her out. Oh, well. Not her day I guess.

After that they needed someone to judge the senior tunnel. So I got to do a briefing and then help people run their dogs. It was really fun. I could see being a judge.

No comments: