Friday, September 05, 2008

A weavepole breakthrough for Spot

Spot is very handler-focused, which is somewhat different than Shelby who is more obstacle-focused. So I'm used to Shelby giving me more leeway as far as following my hand signals and verbal cues and knowing that she should take the next obstacle, not caring so much about exactly where I am, or my path.

Spot is super tuned-in to me, so if I don't run the right line and have to take a step out, it can pull him right off a jump. He's also very into treats, so he watches my hands closely.

I had been having a problem with the weave poles because it was like he didn't even see them. I would try to cue them with my hand, and he would run right by them, around them, etc. So then I tried putting the jackpot toy on the ground just beyond the poles and seeing if that would draw him through. That worked a little better. This is using the 2x2 method, BTW.

Last night I asked Carolyn what else I could try. She suggested not cuing at all. Just having him at my side and walking close to the poles. It worked really well! He wanted to be next to me, and he saw that the poles were there, so he did them. It only took a couple tries before he understood that he needs to go between the poles to get me to throw the jackpot toy. I practiced on the right and the left and he did pretty well.

No comments: